The wait is now over! If you were a fan of the first Square Enix fighter, Dissidia Final Fantasy, then you run out to pick up the newest version that released today. Or, alternately, stay home and download it, because the game also released on PSN as well! More info from the press release after the jump.
DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE PSP® SYSTEM
Square Enix Reunites Popular FINAL FANTASY Characters for the Ultimate Battle
LOS ANGELES (March 22, 2011) –Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced that DISSIDIA® 012[duodecim]TM FINAL FANTASY® for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system has shipped to North American retailers today. A prequel to the acclaimed DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY, this installment will feature the entire cast of its predecessor, along with several new additions to do battle in the endless struggle between Cosmos and Chaos.
In a world scarred by violent conflict, new warriors have emerged to help restore harmony in the realm, including FINAL FANTASY IV’s Kain Highwind, FINAL FANTASY VII’s Tifa Lockhart, FINAL FANTASY VIII’s Laguna Loire, FINAL FANTASY X’s Yuna and FINAL FANTASY XIII’s Lightning. The new challengers will fight alongside the cast of returning combatants featuring new abilities and customizable options.
The unique combat system, which combines fast-paced action with RPG-based character progression and equipment, is enhanced by a new Assist mechanic allowing users to summon an ally to attack or defend against enemies. As part of the EX Mode, the new EX Revenge feature, if used strategically, allows players to turn the tide of a battle. DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY features an even more robust, well-balanced and strategic combat system than its predecessor.
DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] also offers a multiplayer mode that includes communication functions and group battles where players can form parties and compete with friends. For the first time, players can create and share custom quests that offer the player customization of characters by composing dialogue texts and selecting character icons. Other features include new game modes, party battles and story missions, and items and alternate costumes have been added to expand the all star experience even further. With DISSIDIA 012[duodecim], players can match up their most memorable FINAL FANTASY characters in an epic struggle to bring balance between harmony and discord.
For more information and to order now, please visit the official website:
The divine conflict between harmony and discord rages on, the fate of the world its promised prize. Fighting to secure it are brave souls summoned for that solitary purpose. These warriors, relying on what fragments of their shattered memories remain, fight to end the conflict — and for a chance to return home to the worlds they each once knew.
“…Duodecim is hugely rewarding and could be one of the best additions to your PSP library.”
-IGN.com, March 2011 (9/10, IGN EDITORS’ CHOICE)
“As tributes to beloved franchises go, it’s as original and entertaining as ever.”
-1up.com, March 2011 (A-)
“New characters, a new single-player structure, and new features (including a robust create-your-own-adventure toolset) make this another rich package, brimming with hours upon hours of colorful battles in gorgeous environments.”
-GameSpot.com, March 2011 (8/10)
• The battle between good and evil continues: The action-packed world of DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY is back in full force, now with new game modes, story missions, items, alternate costumes and combat features. Soar through expansive environments and participate in gripping combat, all while enjoying RPG-based character development that adds a rich layer of depth to the story behind the clashing forces.
• New characters revealed: Prishe (FINAL FANTASY XI) and Gilgamesh (FINAL FANTASY V) are revealed as playable characters to step up in this ultimate battle between good and evil.
• Star-studded cast: Lending their talents to iconic FINAL FANTASY characters, actors featured in DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY include Rachael Leigh Cook as Tifa, Keith David as Chaos, Steve Burton as Cloud Strife, George Newbern as Sephiroth, Ali Hillis as Lightning, and numerous past voice actors also returning to once again bring their characters to life.
• New features and scenarios: New to DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY are an Assist feature that enables players to enlist characters as backups in combat, as well as a new storyline with new characters that further enhances the robust gameplay experience.
DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY is rated T (Teen). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at http://www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY will be available at North American retailers and the PlayStation®Network on March 22, 2011 for the suggested price of $29.99.
• 3/22 Aerith Assist Character Free with purchase of DISSIDIA duodecim prologus FINAL FANTASY®
• 3/22 Lightning: Aya Brea Costume Voucher: Pack-in with The 3rd Birthday®
• 3/22 Cloud: KINGDOM HEARTS Gear Costume Voucher: Preorder with GameStop
• 3/22 Tifa: Enforcer Costume Voucher: Preorder with Amazon
• 3/29 Warrior of Light: Nameless Warrior Costume Free at the PlayStation®Store
About Square Enix, Inc.
Square Enix, Inc. develops, publishes, distributes and licenses SQUARE ENIX®, EIDOS® and TAITO® branded entertainment content throughout the Americas as part of the Square Enix Group. The Square Enix Group operates a global network of leading development studios and boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property, including: FINAL FANTASY®, which has sold over 97 million units worldwide; DRAGON QUEST®, which has sold over 57 million units worldwide; TOMB RAIDER®, which has sold over 35 million units worldwide; and the legendary SPACE INVADERS®. Square Enix, Inc. is a U.S.-based, wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd.
More information on Square Enix, Inc. can be found at http://www.square-enix.com/na.
© 2008, 2011 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. CHARACTER DESIGN: TETSUYA NOMURA DISSIDIA, [DUODECIM], DRAGON QUEST, EIDOS, FINAL FANTASY, SQUARE ENIX, the SQUARE ENIX logo, SPACE INVADERS, TAITO and TOMB RAIDER are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Square Enix Group. “PlayStation” is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
The Dissidia Duodecim Prologus also released a few days before the full game came out, and allows you to get a taste of what’s in store for the full game by giving you a short section of Lightning’s story mode, as well as letting you taking her and Kain (from FFIV fame) for a test drive in arcade mode along with some of the characters from the first game. Rounding out the $2.99 prelude is the addition of being able to unlock Aerith (or Aeris, depending on your sensibilities) from FFVII as a special assist character. Well worth the price of admission if you’re curious about the Dissidia games, or if you want to unlock some cool stuff for your full game when you purchase it.