EA and BioWare are giving gamers an extended weekend to see what they’ve been missing in Star Wars: The Old Republic. From today (March 15th) through Monday (March 19th), players will be able to join the fight for the Old Republic by heading to http://www.swtor.com/weekendpass and starting a free trial. Characters made as part of the trial will be capped at level 15, as well as having these other limitations in place (in order to prevent abuse):
- A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will only be able to play on their Origin World, Capital World, the Fleet, all Warzones, and in their first Flashpoint. A message box will appear if a character attempts to go outside of these areas.
- A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to use general chat, trade chat, or PvP chat. The character will only be able to use local chat, group chat, guild chat, and reply to whispers.
- A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to send or reply to mail by other trial characters. However, your character will be able to receive in-game mail during the trial.
- A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to use the Galactic Trade Network or trade with other players.
- A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will only be able to level their Crew Skills ranking to around 40.
- A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to earn Legacy XP.
On the upside, players will have access to all servers and server types (PvE, PvP, Roleplay-PvE , and Roleplay-PvP) during the trial. Also, any character (and account) made for the trial will be maintained in an inactive status after the trial ends, allowing players who buy the game the option to continue their adventures without starting over. Those who take part in the weekend but are still on the fence after it ends will now have another point in The Old Republic‘s favor: an in progress character that they’ve already invested some time into. As if anyone needed another reason to succumb to the dark side.